Friday, June 27, 2008

Ask Mary: To Add or Not to Add (Dressing), That is the Question!

Dear Mary,
I never know whether or not to add salad dressing to other people’s salads or to let them do it themselves. What do you think?
Teresa


I like to offer my guests a simple homemade vinegar and oil mixture that they can add to their salad themselves. To me this is very acceptable. What isn’t acceptable at your fancy dinner party is putting out a variety of mediocre salad dressings and having everyone choose their favorite one. That being said, if you want to use something like a pre-made Kraft or Wishbone dressing, go ahead and just lightly dress the salad before you serve it. The bottles really take away from a nicely set table.

On the flip side, for a truly casual dinner with your immediate family (mom, dad, children), go ahead and put out the bottles. They won’t judge you for it, and believe me, we’ve all done it!

Happy Cooking!
Mary

No comments: